Tuesday, March 20, 2012

chocolate and vanilla kale chips

in my mind i've been calling these his and her kale chips, because he (john) loves chocolate...




and she (me) prefers vanilla.



the sweet kale chips were inspired by jess of cupcakes and kale. with kale chips i don't usually follow measurements - i find it easier to taste as i go. for the chocolate kale i used the same ingredients as jess, subbing vanilla water and adding a bit of maple syrup. with the vanilla chips i used a few tablespoons coconut oil, coconut flakes, chia seeds, agave nectar, a pinch of salt, vanilla water, and the insides of one vanilla bean, which were purchased fairly cheap in bulk here.


after massaging everything really well into my garden kale, i placed the coated pieces onto teflex sheets and dehydrated at 115 degrees overnight. the outcome was a sweet little snack packed with green nutrition that even he (who doesn't care much for kale) can enjoy.=)

13 comments:

  1. I love chocolate kale chips.. Or chocolate anything! ;) good idea with the vanilla, haven't seen them anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks lauren! i've had so much kale to use up and i wasn't in the mood for chocolate, so i thought to make vanilla ones for me.

      Delete
  2. I need to make some kale chips to use up some kale, but I am not sure how a sweet chip would be. Seems a crazy marriage of taste ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i thought so too, but they're really good. they're nice to have around when a sweets craving strikes - they keep me out of trouble.=)

      Delete
  3. Interesting twist to make a vanilla kale chip. Haven't seen that before. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great idea!! i'm so making these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BMO sent me their choco kale chips to review a while back and i really liked them. but since i've sworn off chocolate for life (yes, for life) i'm back to being a totally vanilla guy. I am trying the vanilla ones asap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the his & hers kale chips :) makes me look forward to kale season here... come on growing season!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm mmm! I need to make some chocolate chips!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...